Let’s face it: teaching is hard work and teachers don’t get paid nearly as much as they should. (Especially now.)
So, it’s no surprise that so many of our copywriting students are teachers, looking to turn their natural writing abilities into side income, summer jobs, or, in many cases, entirely new careers!
Copywriting is marketing or advertising writing: writing that is designed to sell or to persuade. “Copy” is the words that make up that writing, and copywriters are the ones who write that copy. Copywriters have a natural gift for writing, are resourceful, and hustle. That’s why teachers tend to thrive in this field!
5 Reasons Copywriting is a Great Summer Job for Teachers
- Copywriting is flexible. While you can have a full-time job as a copywriter, many copywriters work as freelancers, scaling their amount work up or down based on their schedules. So whether you want a week off by the pool or want to take on more work during spring break, you’ll have the control to do so.
- Copywriters are paid well. This is one of the very few writing jobs that actually pays well. That’s because copywriters directly help businesses grow. This bottom-line impact means copywriters are paid
- You do not need copywriting certification or a degree. Copywriting certificates do not prove you can write copy. Your copy samples prove you can write copy! You do, however, need training, a willingness to learn something new, and the ability to be coached.
- Copywriters can work from anywhere. Freelance copywriters only need an Internet connection to get their jobs done. Want to put in a few hours of work while lounging by the pool? Go for it. (Just make sure your laptop isn’t close enough to fall in!)
- Copywriting is merit based. If you write great copy, you write great copy. Your age, gender, socio-economic status, and other factors do not matter.
Meet Erin, A Teacher-Turned Copywriter
Erin decided that her maternity leave, plus summer break was the perfect time to explore new career options. Then enter COVID-19. Erin decided to focus on building a copywriting career so she didn’t have to go back to the classroom.
With the goal of replacing her teaching income in five months (all while taking care of a new baby, by the way!), Erin managed to do it—in 6 weeks.
Check out her inspiring story to hear how she did it.
How to Build a Summer Job as a Copywriter
Whether you just want a good (and dare we say fun!) summer job, want build a year-round side hustle, or are interested in switching careers to become a full-time copywriter like Erin, copywriting can give you the flexibility you need.
Take the first step toward exploring a summer job in copywriting by signing up for our free, on-demand video training. You’ll learn how copywriters can land work, how to follow the proven process of six-figure copywriters, and how to build your copywriting business in less time per day than it takes to have a cup of coffee!
Read More: What is Copywriting?