Copywriting work often has different focuses. Some is designed to sell people on a company—that is, to get people to be aware of, trust, and like the brand. Other copywriting work is designed to get an immediate response.
Here we look at what the term “direct response copywriting” means and what makes it different from other writing.
There’s a fairly decent chance that you’ve done direct response copywriting—and this post will help you write it better in the future.
What’s Direct Response Marketing?
Direct response marketing/advertising is a message that is designed to get the target audience to take immediate action. Direct response pieces can be nearly any time of media (emails, direct mail, newspaper ads, etc.), but their purposes are clear: get people to do what you want them to do, be that purchase, click, or sign up.
What’re Elements of Effective Direct Response Copywriting Pieces?
The most effective copywriting creative pieces contain these elements:
– A clear, compelling offer like “50% Off Men’s Sweaters” or “Huge Warehouse Sale”
– A strong, obvious call to action like “Shop Now!” or “Sign Up”
– A sense of urgency (whether real or implied) with copy like “limited time” or “don’t miss out!”
– Easily scannable copy (easy for the reader to just scan and still understand the full message)
– Plain, easy-to-understand language
They are also:
– Short and to the point
– Don’t require the user to think very much in order to understand the message or decide to take the action—the message should be so clear and compelling, taking the action is practically a forgone conclusion!
If you don’t have any direct response work in your portfolio, find a client who needs it done! Direct response copywriting is a great (and profitable) skill to master.
Terms Every Copywriter Should Know
As you dig into your copywriting career, you’ll encounter terms that you may or not have heard before. Here are some common ones to understand that will help you feel like you’re in the know!
- Important Digital Copywriting Definitions
- B2B vs. B2C Copywriting: What to Know
- What Is Content Marketing?
What else makes your direct response copywriting effective? Let us know in the comments below!
Last Updated on September 18, 2023