As we’re wrapping up the new year, I thought I’d share a year-end ritual that preps me for success in the new year.
First, I start by looking back at the year that’s ending and asking myself a few questions. The key, of course, is to be gentle with myself and what’s over, but also be ruthlessly honest in my evaluation.
- What went well with my career this year?
- What were my three biggest successes?
- To what can I attribute these successes? Were there any specific actions I took that led to them?
- What new skills did I add to my abilities?
- What didn’t go so well with my career this year?
- What setbacks or disappointments did I experience?
- To what can I attribute these setbacks/disappointments? Were there actions that I did or didn’t take that led to them?
- What could I have done differently to have seen more success?
Then, it’s time to start looking ahead to the new year:
- What’s your greatest goal for your career in the new year?
- What are 5-10 steps you’d have to take to get there?
- What new skills will you need to acquire to get there?
- What will you do in 2017 to avoid the setbacks and disappointments you saw in 2016?
- What will you continue to do in 2017 that led to some of your biggest successes in 2016?
- What are 12 smaller goals you can set for each month that will help guarantee you hit your big goal for 2017?
- When can you schedule mini check-ins to evaluate your progress throughout the year?
Your turn! Care to reveal some of your reviewing or planning to the FRW community? Share in the comments below!
Last Updated on September 30, 2022