Today’s question comes to us from Manny E., who asks, “I’m psyched to be learning about copywriting, but there’s definitely a lot to learn. Do you have a quick hit of tips to help me get some traction?” Oh Manny, do I ever!
You want it, you got it: here’s your traction-inducing, no-nonsense list of 10 Things Every Copywriter Needs to Know:
1. There’s a difference between features and benefits; write about the benefits
2. Ask for the sale/action and give them a clear, single next step to take
3. Write for your audience, but write in your brand’s voice
4. It’s not about you: write for your client’s needs and exercise humility
5. Do it right the first time
6. Don’t send through all of your options, send through your good ones
7. Question the creative brief; it’s probably not as thorough as it needs to be
8. Expect edits and feedback from all stakeholders; know that there will be revisions
9. Do your best work, but don’t fall in love with it; you’ll probably have to change it
10. Everyone thinks they’re a copywriter, but you’re [supposed to be] the expert
How’s that for a quick hit? Bam! Now, of course, we’d never leave you hanging and no list of Top 10 Tips for Copywriters would truly be complete with out more explanation. Check out Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 of the deep-dive into these ten tips!
Your turn! What tips have helped you in your career? Let us know in the comments below!