As we’re wrapping up the new year, I thought I’d share a year-end ritual that preps me for success in the new year.
First, I start by looking back at the year that’s ending and asking myself a few questions. The key, of course, is to be gentle with myself and what’s over, but also be ruthlessly honest in my evaluation.
- What went well with my career this year?
- What were my three biggest successes?
- To what can I attribute these successes? Were there any specific actions I took that led to them?
- What new skills did I add to my abilities?
- What didn’t go so well with my career this year?
- What setbacks or disappointments did I experience?
- To what can I attribute these setbacks/disappointments? Were there actions that I did or didn’t take that led to them?
- What could I have done differently to have seen more success?
Then, it’s time to start looking ahead to the new year:
- What’s your greatest goal for your career in the new year?
- What are 5-10 steps you’d have to take to get there?
- What new skills will you need to acquire to get there?
- What will you do in 2017 to avoid the setbacks and disappointments you saw in 2016?
- What will you continue to do in 2017 that led to some of your biggest successes in 2016?
- What are 12 smaller goals you can set for each month that will help guarantee you hit your big goal for 2017?
- When can you schedule mini check-ins to evaluate your progress throughout the year?
Your turn! Care to reveal some of your reviewing or planning to the FRW community? Share in the comments below!